Monday, August 25, 2014

Internship Spotlight - Shelby Gaydosh



This summer I completed my second internship at Lorain County Alcohol and Drug Abuse Services (LCADA). LCADA is a non-profit organization to help those struggling with addiction. When I started my first summer at LCADA, I had no idea working with addicts was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

The first summer at LCADA I was able to assist with the suboxone program; the program designed to use medication (suboxone) to help the opiate addicts with withdrawal symptoms and to block the euphoric effects opiates have on the brain. I was able to observe the individual sessions, talk to the clients, drug test the clients, and sit in with the client and the doctor since suboxone is distributed by a doctor, not a counselor. The second summer at LCADA I was able to observe more of the counseling principles. I was able to sit in on assessments, individual sessions, and also family sessions. I was able to practice progress notes and treatment plans and receive constructive criticism for what I should change and also told what I did correctly.

Both internships at LCADA were very helpful to me for my future goals. Although I did not know that working with addicts is what I wanted to do, I know now that this is what I want. Working at LCADA gave me experience through observation, which is important because you cannot learn to counsel through a book. This internship helped prepare me for not only graduate school, but also my future career.