Monday, December 10, 2012

Internship Spotlight - Lauren Goossens


Since there is not a speech-language pathology program here at Ashland, I knew I wanted to do something that would allow me to gain more knowledge about the field and become more prepared for graduate school. I was worried that I would not be able to do an internship with a speech-language pathologist (SLP) since I am a psychology major, but I was happy when I found out that I could complete and internship with an SLP. I called Brethren Care Village and I talked to the Director of Nursing, who was more than willing to make sure that I was able to complete an internship with the SLP at the facility. I began my internship in September, and I actually got the chance to work with two different SLPs, as there were some changes of employees at Brethren Care Village. I decided to do the one-credit hour internship, as this worked best with my class and work schedule.

At the internship, I was not certified to do any of the therapy, so I mainly observed the SLP. Observation was just as helpful though, as I got to see the therapy first-hand, and I was able to talk to the SLP about what they were doing and why they were doing it. I worked with two very good SLPs who took the time to sit down and explain to me different aspects of the field, and they made sure that they answered any questions that I had. I learned more about the daily life of an SLP, the different evaluation and treatment options/techniques, the consistencies of food, how to build rapport with the patients and families, and the different employment opportunities for SLPs. This was a great way to prepare me for graduate school, as well as for a career in the field of speech-language pathology.