Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Alumni Spotlight -- Danny Lawson '17


Danny recently completed his first year of graduate school at Loyola University outside of Baltimore, MD.  He is pursuing a masters degree in clinical psychology that has a research focus, and he hopes to complete that program and enter a PhD program in psychology with the ultimate goal of teaching at the collegiate level.  I asked Danny to write a short narrative about his experience:

"I think going from my undergraduate degree to an M.S. in clinical psychology was a good step towards my PhD. Unlike most master’s programs, this one is research focused and its goal is to improve applications for PhD programs rather than prepare me to sit to be a licensed counselor. While these types of programs are becoming difficult to find, they are great for those who want to start with a shorter commitment, take some time to really discover their research interests, or who really want to reinforce their applications before beginning the rigorous process of applying to doctoral programs. Ashland University really does well preparing its students for a graduate degree and, as such, I felt ready for and enjoy my program. My program is really doing well to improve my doctoral applications and has provided me with many research opportunities I may not have otherwise had. I would definitely recommend it for those who met the aforementioned criteria."