Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Intership Spotlight - Nicole Austin



During the summer of 2013, I completed an internship with The City Mission in Cleveland, Ohio. The City Mission is a non-profit homeless shelter for men, women, and children and is located downtown. The purpose of the mission is to not only give immediate shelter, but allow clients to enter a three-phase program that provides them with the skills to live on their own in middle-class America while teaching lessons with a biblical foundation. 

While at the mission, I served as an early childhood development assistant for children ages three to six years.  With the help of two other interns, I developed a nine week vacation bible school program appropriate for the different age ranges of children. Since I was with the preschool aged children, I also worked directly with case workers and the therapist to report behavior and warn them of any developmental lapses.  

The internship highly impacted the way I look at homelessness and those involved. It also allowed me to turn the information I learned in the classroom into practical skills such as watching for symptoms of certain disorders and designing a program that would allow children to learn based on their age. Moreover, the internship reaffirmed that I should pursue a career in psychology that allows me to work with children on a regular basis.