Monday, September 29, 2014

Internship Spotlight - Morgan Phillips



 During the summer of 2014 I had the opportunity to intern at the Ohio Lottery Commission’s headquarters in downtown Cleveland, working in the Human Resource Department. My time at OLC made me realize how much I want to work in Human Resources once I graduate.

This summer I was able to learn so much about what goes into human resources! For the couple months that I worked there, I was exposed to many different aspects of HR. I was able to process applications, meaning I picked through 200+ applications and narrowed it down to only 25. After this I would set up interview times, send paperwork and collect paperwork, set up drug tests and finger printing. I also helped to update position descriptions and process other paperwork. There were multiple orientations for new employees while I was there, so I was given the opportunity to help with those also.

My biggest project throughout the summer was to put together the Workforce Plan for the next year. Every state agency is required to compile a document analyzing the statistics of their agency from the last year. It also analyzes the projections for the next year and how the agency will deal with hiring, firing, and other changes in the workforce. I had the opportunity to create the Workforce Plan for the entire agency, with the guidance of my supervisor. After the summer at the Ohio Lottery, I realized how much I love human resources and that is what I plan to do once I graduate.