Monday, March 31, 2014

Student Finds Summer Opportunity at Camp Nuhop



Senior Hank Benton worked last summer, and will work again this summer at Camp Nuhop. Camp Nuhop is a residential therapeutic camp for children with disabilities and behavioral disorders and is located in southern Ashland County.  Hank had this to say about his experiences at Nuhop and how his Psychology coursework prepared him for the work:

"My job at Nuhop was a camp counselor for kids with disorders and disabilities and I worked there from the beginning of June to the end of July. As a counselor my responsibilities included planning and implementing activities for campers, bedtime duties, camper safety and making sure that all campers have fun and feel secure. My Psychology classes were extremely beneficial in preparing me for working at Nuhop because many of the psychology theories I've learned were used in our training, so I already had a good grasp on how to interact with  these children. Working at Nuhop will prepare me for my future career as a Behavior Analyst because it's real life experiences that I've learned from that you just can't get from the classroom. After I graduate AU, I plan on going to graduate school and continuing my goal to becoming a Behavior Analyst."